Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Be Present

Sarah is a writer. Sarah is a blogger. Sarah is a photographer. Sarah is my wife.

To become a better writer you need to write - daily. One tool writer's use is called: Writing Prompts. Simply Google "writing prompts" and your search results will provide a myriad of prompt lists to choose from.

Sarah works from a prompt list every day. When I'm home, she'll invite me to join her. (Truth be told, I should join her on these prompts exercises more often). The rules she follows are simple: Write for 10 minutes using the prompt of the day(yes, a timer is important). I believe I forgot to mention that you are not to know what the prompt of the day is ahead of time. It should not be a word that you have pondered over all day. Other than that, there are no "writing rules" to follow. Simply write. Open your mind. Let the words flow out of your head onto paper. Punctuation? If you don't feel like it, don't use it. Capitalization? Your choice. Correct grammar? Ain't could be a word.

One thing we do though is (drum roll please)... we share our writing with each out by reading it out loud. Awkward? Yes. Cause for belly laughs? Most definitely. Vulnerable? Oh yeah. Encouraging? Most definitely!

On November 2, 2014, the prompt of the day was: Be Present. Here's what I wrote: (Yes, I'm being vulnerable...)

   The famous Seattle Fish Market and Pikes Place Fish created a business film a number of years ago called FISH. It was highly entertaining. Go ahead, You Tube it (or, if you're reading this in the far future, consult whatever technological device that has been implanted in your brain).
 
   In the video, they throw fish around. A lot of fish - and they have fun! (The first F in FISH)
 
  Asked about the secret of good customer service, one of the fun-loving "fish" guys made the memorable comment of "You simply have to be present, man"
 
   A truer statement could not have been made. Great customer service is casting (note the fish pun) all of your focus and attention onto the customer, making them feel like they are the most important person in the world to you, in that moment.
 
   However, being present goes beyond customer service. It's a lesson for all of us with loved ones; spouses, children, parents, grandparents, and friends. How many marriages, friendships, and families have been  lost by the lack of presence? It could be the root cause of all our failures.
 
   How hard is it, really, to be present? It's simply an effort to provide your undivided attention to the other person, in the moment!

The 10 minute timer sounded. Exercise over.

There you have it. As written. Unedited. Yet, underneath it all there is a truth.

Be Present

FISH Philosophy

9 comments:

  1. So good and so proud of you for being vulnerable and sharing this with the world. As with everything the only way to get better is to practice. I guess you know I won't be letting you out of writing so easily anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glen... I became acquainted with Sarah through Kim Klassen's groupies and have so enjoyed her pics and blog and now I see she is not the only talented one in the family!! I think you hit the nail on the head when you said present is an effort to provide your undivided attention to another person! How often in these busy lives of ours do we find ourselves half listening to the conversation we are having with a friend because we are thinking of all the things we need to do..... thanks for the reminder,, a thought provoking blog,,,,,,keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm one of Sarah's photography and writing friends, too. Sarah is so fortunate to have someone who shares a love for writing and someone to share her writing with. I know Sarah is an excellent writer, but no I know that so are you! Your piece is a timely reminder for all of us to be present in each moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glen so great to 'meet' you. I remember FISH from some years ago whilst working in a local book shop (dream job) my boss was a great believer in the FISH method. Being present is the simplest and yet the most difficult of things to acheive I just keep trying every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Glen! I'm another of Sarah's blogging and photo friends. I used to meet weekly with a small group (4 of us) to do this sort of writing. We'd pull a prompt out of thin air and write for 10 minutes then share what we'd written. I've experienced both the hilarity and the vulnerability you mentioned. It's a great writing exercise, but it's also a great way to get to really know someone. How wonderful that you and Sarah are able to share that experience with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me so happy that the 2 of you this together. A fun and totally satisfying practice. Kudos to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Glenn ... I am yet another of Sarah's blogging and photography friends. I love your post today and to think you wrote this from a prompt, no heads up and in only ten minutes ... perfect!! But what is even more perfect is the fact you and Sarah do this together and read it aloud to each other ... what a wonderful connection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glen, I am another one of Sarah's blogging and photography friends. How wonderful that you and Sarah can share an interest in writing. Your post is an excellent reminder about staying present in all of our relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. I think I'll read this to my husband's employees.

    ReplyDelete