Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

...Like a Navy SEAL

“We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates, and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.” -- Navy SEAL Creed

I admit it. I'm a Flipboard addict. It has to be the most used app on my iPad. Recently I came across an article called, How To Develop Young Leaders - and what an inspiring article it was for me!

What struck me about the creed was its depth, yet it contains only three sentences.

So I decided to put each sentence to practice in my daily life, both work and personal.

"We expect to lead and be led" - Take a minute and seriously think about that sentence [PAUSE]. I had to ask myself whether or not I truly approach leadership as an expectation. It's much easier to think of it as chore. Also, will I set aside my ego and actually allow someone to lead me? If I'm honest (if we're all honest), I always think I'm right. So how does having that attitude allow me to be led? I need to embrace being led. I can always learn! Hey, I'm not always right, right?

"I will take charge, lead my teammates, and accomplish the mission" - Accept responsibility. Take initiative, and reach the goal!

"I lead by example in all situations" - All situations? Do I really do that? No, I don't. I want to assign blame on someone else when something goes wrong. What kind of leader is that? A leader with a short lifespan... Leading by example means putting yourself out there for criticism. You must be strong, fair, and consistent. In fact, I need to be strong, fair, and consisent.


If you're young and you don't think you're in a position of leadership, you are wrong. Choose to follow the lead of the Navy SEAL

“We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates, and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.” -- Navy SEAL Creed