Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Under the Surface

It was a cold, January day. I love the cold! The brisk air makes me feel alive. I was cross-country skiing at Saugatuck Dunes State Park with my friend, Cal Pelon. In addition to playing the bass guitar, Cal rides bike and he loves to cross-country ski.

We discovered "adventure" cross-country skiing at the state park a number of years ago. There really isn't any semblance of groomed trails. You follow the summer hiking trails. The trails were not planned with skiing in mind. They wind and curve. Sometimes you climb gently. Other times you glide smoothly downhill. Sharp turns at the bottom of some of those downhills bring the trees into play. The best part of the skiing here is the large dune hills and, my friends, those hills are not kind. They're not straight down. They undulate and curve. They're a challenge on cross-country skis - and I LOVE IT!

This 24 degree January day we opted to take the South Trail. It's our favorite. It rewards you with snow clinging to pine branches that create tunnels of trees. It's a beautiful trail. About two miles in there's "the Hill". After a steady climb, you top out and look down a trail that curves to the right. On your left is a steep drop off that, if you were the unfortunate soul who fell, you would likely impale yourself on broken stumps and dead branches. Still, "the Hill" calls to you and you just have to give it a go!


I went first. I always go first. (Cal prefers to watch me fall so that he can tell tall tales of Glen Huizenga sprawled in the snow, face covered with fluffy white snow or beach sand, and, typically, he knows I'm Laughing MAO!). The snow was fresh. We were the first to blaze the trail. With anticipation I launch myself and as I proceed down the hill the exhilaration puts a smile on my face. Today was going to be the day. I was going to make it all the way down. Confidently I lean right at the correct moment positioning myself for success. As a pick up speed I see the bottom of the hill. All I need to do is continue to lean right and I'll make it down for just the second time. I'm filled with pride with the anticipated knowledge of today's success. Pride comes before the fall, right? Right! As I lean, my right ski skids across something throwing my balance off and I begin the dance. You know this dance. You've seen it when watching others cross-country ski. One leg shoots out to the side. Arms start to swirl and flail in an effort to regain balance. Slalom skiing on one leg, I spin and begin my graceful fall. Laughter already escaping my mouth. I feel alive.

Cal couldn't see my fall, but he heard it and my subsequent laughter. I holler up the hill, "Watch out for the root!". I see him coming. Today is going to be his day! He looks like an Olympic Nordic champion right up until he hits the root. Now, I truly care for my friend, however falling gracefully and Cal are not best of friends. When he falls, he falls hard. Today... head over heels. (From my perspective it was most beautiful, scoring a full 10). Sprawled in the snow, we both laugh, give ourselves a quick visual inspection for broken bones or split skin, and continue our adventure.

Our success was foiled by something just under the surface of the freshly fallen snow. A tree root that acted like one of those rails that professional snowboarders skid across for fun - and big money!


This concept of something just "under the surface" foiling our success relates to many facets of life.

In our daily life as sales professionals it's important that we anticipate and uncover the objections that prospects or customers place in front of us as we move through the sales process. Objections lay just "under the surface", just like the tree root in my story.

How can we uncover objections?
  • Study Selling Skills
  • Know the common objections
  • Formulate high quality questions that take away or uncover those objections
  • Shut up and LISTEN
  • Learn from each and every encounter. This is called "gaining experience".
Don't let the "under the surface" dangers slow you down from taking a risk. Study, Prepare, Anticipate, and Win!

On Saturday, Sarah and I hiked the South Trail for the first time since the weather turned. As we approached "the Hill", I asked her to attempt to capture the subtle nuances of the hill and the killer tree root! Her pictures did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment