Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Reading Made Me

It's confession time. Not going to college to earn a degree has bothered me for years. Don't get me wrong, marrying my beautiful wife, Sarah, a month after she graduated from high school was the best life choice I've ever made. However, lingering in the back of my brain has been this slight regret of not securing a piece of paper - a degree. At times this "slight regret" bothered me more than at other times. Most often it is just a malingering thought in the dark corners of my mind.

Finally, at age 46, I've been able to let go of that slight regret. I've put it to rest. For years I've known that my love of reading has been my slight edge for success in life, in my jobs, and sales career. It's a fact, without my love of books, my mind and life would not be what it is today.

The love of reading was the one gift that I so wanted to give to our daughter, Mallory. I took matters into my own hands. I started reading to her even before she was born. Among others, I read Tolkien's classics The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm convinced she heard my voice.

After she was born, as she slept in her bouncer or rocked in her baby swing, I read The Hobbit and the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy to her again. Even though her eyes were closed, her ears were open and I know she absorbed every nuance and inflection of my spoken words. I know she felt the tears stream down my face as Frodo and Sam reflected on their lives and pending deaths on Mount Doom after successfully destroying the One Ring.


Mallory is now 19. She is finishing her sophomore year at Northern Michigan University. She's changing the Huizenga bloodline. She will be the first to secure a college degree. As parents, we couldn't be more proud! She's a smart kid. The gift was received!

Mallory loves to read. It started young and continues to this day. Her love of books has already impacted her life. As she creates her own path, I know she is prepared for success and failure. After all, doesn't a good book teach you how to overcome, believe, persist, and succeed?

It's not too late for you to discover your love of reading. It will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment