Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Self-Talk

Self-talk. Is it possible to talk yourself into success? Or failure?

Napoleon Hill called it the law of autosuggestion. In his book, Think & Grow Rich, he makes this statement,

"Like the wind which carries one ship east and another west, the law of autosuggestion will lift you up or pull you down according to the way you set your sails of thought."

I've been noticing a recent trend with the certain members of the sales team I'm a part of, lead, and coach. They're allowing their "I can't" thoughts dominate their mindset. I know it is impacting their daily activities.

As a sales leader and coach, how can I help? Can I help? Do I lead by example? Do I pull each of them aside for a short conversation? How do you help someone understand the power of the subconscious? Then, if they're open to my coaching, is it even possible to help them implement or execute the necessary change of mindset? Or, is it truly up to the individual?

Wow! Heavy musings on a Sunday evening...



Hill provides these additional thoughts:

"The subconscious mind makes no distinction between constructive and destructive thought impulses. It works with the material we feed it, through our thought impulses..." and he continues... 

"If you fill your mind with fear, doubt, and unbelief in your ability to connect with and use the forces of Infinite Intelligence, the law of autosuggestion will take this spirit of unbelief and use it as a pattern by which your subconscious mind will translate it into its physical equivalent."


Your thoughts will be expressed physically.

OK, if you are like me, you believe that your strong - I mean, mentally strong. "I'm invincible", right? "I can think one thing in my head and fake it physically". Friends, your thoughts are going to manifest themselves physically somehow. Stress, illness, headaches or maybe... healthy living, exercise, or success.




Hill shares the following verse.
He doesn't name the poet.

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will ---
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!

Observe the words which have been emphasized, and you will catch the deep meaning which the poet had in mind.

3 comments:

  1. "I think I can, I know I can. I think I can, I know I can".

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are actually great thoughts going into a January Monday! Thanks Glen! This is a great reminder to keep your chin up and that we do have choices.

    ReplyDelete