Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Soloing like The Who

I'm a huge fan of The Who - and I'm unashamed! I've read most of the books written about them. I own Pete Townshend's recent biography.
I have watched a bunch of documentaries. Listening to their music is a guttural experience. You can feel it in your gut. It elicits pleasure.

About a year ago I watch An Ox's Tale: The John Entwhistle Story. It is a must watch if your love bass guitar, The Who, and John Entwhistle. It is a tragic story. Yet, it inspires.

The books and documentaries all make a similar claim - and I paraphrase... "The Who were four solo instrumentalists with a chemistry like no other band in history"

When Pete Townshend, John Entwhistle, Keith Moon, and Roger Daltry execute their parts, listen to each other, and trust each other; magic erupts.

As I often seem to do, I naturally want to connect the dots to the career of selling.

As salespeople we love to fly solo. Autonomy is one of our best friends. Some might claim that they do their best work "flying solo". Some might even be so bold as to say, "Leave me the hell alone!"

I get that. I truly do

However, let me toss this out: Have you ever experienced the true synergy of playing in a band, a band that has chemistry? I have. I play my part (guitar). The drummer plays his. The bass player is in the groove. The singer leads. When there is chemistry, there is magic.


It seems to me, we as salespeople would relish the opportunity to find that kind of chemistry. The job would get easier. The mistakes, fewer. The energy, symbiotic. We would actually sell more stuff by working as a band, a team!

We could be soloing, just like The Who!




No comments:

Post a Comment