Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Affirmation from Unlikely Sources

The other day I had lunch with someone who's been attempting to connect with me for a while now. It's funny how fate works. Appointments had been scheduled only to be cancelled due various reasons. This happened time and time again. Most often I was the one needing to cancel and reschedule. That's just the way things go.

During our lunch conversation I was affirmed. Some days it seems like you beat your head against solid block walls wondering if the message is getting through. His affirmation whisped in like a spector of a ghost.

"...I can teach processes".

My lunch acquaintance also manages people. He had asked me what skill set I interview for. I proceeded to give him the list of attributes I attempt to uncover. He agreed with me, however challenged me to seek harder to uncover that inner drive that great sales reps have. (Side Note: It's interesting that we both seem to think there's any underlying insecurity that powers that inner drive. Also, we both are insecure and from that insecurity find our drive.)

Anyway, back to his affirmation...

"...I can teach processes".

My brain screamed out, "Really! Can you? I'm not so sure".

He proceeded to share with me his philosophy - a philosophy not unlike the sales philosophy used when working with customers.

1. You have to earn the right
2. You have to build the relationship
3. You must role model the success you expect
4. You must hold yourself accountable to the same expectations you have for them
5. The way you frame the question is important
6. Black & White is alway better than Gray
7. Follow through on your promises/commitments.

Interestingly, simple management ideas. They put the focus on you instead of them.

"...I can teach processes".

Random Thoughs/Questions:

1. If I expect the team to plan their day/week/month, my calendar must be planned. Do they know that I plan?
2. If I expect them to document Opportunities/Prospects, am I doing the same? Do they know that?
3. How am I coaching? What questions do I use? Do I point out flaws or encourage? Which is best? Does it differ by person?
4. Am I clear in my communication? If not, do they feel comfortable enough to approach me for clarification?
5. Do I follow through on my promises to them? If so, do they recognize that and do they care?
6. Have a earned the right?
7. Have a built the relationship?

If they have the internal drive, can I teach processes? Yes, I can teach processes - and because of it we'll both grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment