Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Book Reading - Why

I came across a gem of an article today while scanning Flipboard. It validated my love of reading and supported the "why" I read. The article, from The Huffington Post is called: 7 Unconventional Reasons Why You Absolutely Should Be Reading Books

Interestingly enough, it also reminded me that I need to read for more than the one or two purposes I currently choose to invest my reading time on.

A quick snap shot of the 7 Unconventional Reasons detailed in the article:
  1. Reading might help strengthen your "mind-reading" abilities (Science journal)
  2. Reading can chill you out
  3. It could help keep your brain sharp
  4. And it might even stave off Alzheimer's disease
  5. Reading may help you sleep better
  6. Getting lost in a good book could also make you more empathetic
  7. Self-help books, on the other hand, can ease depression
Some of my all-time favorite books are:

1. The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
2. Lucas Davenport PREY Series - John Sandford
3. Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
4. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
5. Winter: Notes from Montana - Rick Bass

 

I have many, many additional favorite authors. Ivan Doig comes to mind. So does Jeffrey Gitomer and Tom Hopkins. PJ Parrish, two sisters, writes great mystery novels. So does Steve Hamilton. All of his are based in Michigan, most in the Upper Peninsula.
 
 


There's no doubt that books have formed me. Now, in addition to "forming me", I know they help me read minds, chill out, sharpen my brain, keep away Alzheimer's, sleep better, be more empathetic, and ease depression.

Books = Knowledge = Love

No comments:

Post a Comment