Insights for sharing, discussion, and learning.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Reflecting Forward

Wisdom
 Does it come with age?
Insight
Is it only gained through experience? 
   Self-Confidence
Ego, pride, or simply a core strength?
 

 
Lately, for some unknown reason, I've been reflecting on my life. I'm 46 years old. Married since the age of 19. Blessed to have a wife who loves and forgives me in spite of all my quasi-OCD behaviors and major and minor faults. Fortunate to have a beautiful and intelligent 19 year old daughter who is changing the Huizenga bloodline forever by being the first to attend college. We're in our 4th home. From the humble beginning in a 12' x 60' mobile home to our first "real" house... we've been blessed. I could list more... Simply blessed!

We didn't really have any "plan". There were no career aspirations. No ladders to climb (no desire to climb, really). Yet, somehow an outcome occurred.

Reflection is rewarding. By reflecting I impact my life moving forward. I'm reflecting forward. Hmmm.

I look back and realize that two people impacted me more than they know.
  1. Ken Kuipers - my middle school principal and eventually my boss when I was a custodian. If he hadn't said these words to me, I'm not sure I'd be where I'm at today. He said, "Glen, you have skills that you do not realize you have. You have to take this risk". I had shared my opportunity to get into the sales field. He hated to see me go, yet he knew he had to let me go. Without that nudge from the nest, I wouldn't even be typing this blog message.
  2. A Manufacturer's Rep. His name long forgotten, however after a half-day work day early in my sales career he reported back to my sales manager saying these words, "He's going to be a good one".
Add up those words. I counted 24. Twenty four words. Twenty four life altering words. Words of action and words of encouragement.

My challenge: To be a man of few, yet powerful, life altering words. Positive life changing words. Encouraging, inspiring words.

I pledge to pass on the gifts given to me - words.

No comments:

Post a Comment